ALCA provided this submission in support of and addition to submissions made by individual ALCA members.
ALCA wants to see a healthy, functional and resilient Australian environment and a federal law that is effective and efficient, and that users can understand and engage with. We would like to see an Act and supporting legislative scheme that has environmental protection and biodiversity conservation as its primary aim; and that has a dual focus on protection and recovery of threatened species and ecological communities.
In this submission ALCA has identified key areas for reform of the EPBC Act. These relate to:
- New triggers and the need for better strategic assessments
- Recovery plans and critical habitat provisions
- Transparency and accountability
- Assurance frameworks, monitoring and enforcement
- Enabling public and private investment in biodiversity conservation.